What is leadership?
There have been many attempts to define leadership but it basically comes down to prompting or inspiring others into willing action to achieve a specific purpose.
“Leadership is the ability to get others to do what they don’t want to do, and like it”.
Harry S Truman
Leadership: the obsidian model
Throughout history there have been people who have demonstrated the ability to lead others. Sometimes they are appointed like political, military and sporting leaders and sometimes they emerge to meet some crisis or other situation. The Obsidian model of leadership looks at the constituent parts of leadership and also at the different leadership styles that are adopted by leaders.
This is not to deny that some leaders have shown particular talents, skills or personal characteristics that have influenced the way they went about things, but this model looks at the basic characteristics of leadership.
The Obsidian model of leadership looks at the constituent parts of leadership and also at the different leadership styles that are adopted by leaders.
Obsidian consultants have a wealth of practical experience in leadership and are skilled at helping individuals to develop an approach to leadership that is the most effective for them.
The Obsidian Model
Obsidian works with organisational leaders to identify:
* the key aims and objectives of the organisation
* a vision of what has to be achieved
* a plan to achieve it
* how to bring people ‘on board’ to achieve it
“Effective leadership is not about making speeches or being liked: leadership is defined by results not attributes” Peter F Drucker.
Obsidian helps with:
* the development of strategy to achieve what needs to be done
* the impact of culture on the performance of the organisation
* the effectiveness of change projects
Obsidian specialise in two areas concerning the leadership of people:
* the effective engagement, motivation and commitment of people
* development of the capability of people both individually and in teams
Leadership behaviours are influenced by three different aspects of personality:
* the inherent traits of the individual
* the styles that they choose to adopt
* the situations they face and what is required to deal with these
Obsidian develop the awareness and understanding of different personality types through various means including personality profiling, 360o appraisals and individual coaching.